Friday, May 4, 2012

Do you want Fries with that?

Yes please!!! 

Fries are those satisfying little nibblies, nestled beside your main. Typically full of fat and starch, they're not your ideal snack; however, that doesn't mean we don't all have a weak spot for the calorific little guys. Whether you call them fries or chips, everyone has a favourite brand or shape they can't resist. 

My personal favourite is the homemade variety, turn them into poutine and I'm brain-dead and drooling. With that said, I have purposely kept myself from buying a deep fryer to avoid constantly stuffing my face with fries and all of the other fatty options available when you own a frier. Instead, I continue my search for a healthier substitute that not only tastes great but satisfies that deep fries desire.


Butternut Squash Fries  

I found this recipe in the cookbook Cook Yourself Thin Faster. The actual recipe is 'Cheese Fries'; however, I prefer to bake mine sans cheese. These have an almost sweet taste, very yum!


Ingredients:
  • 1 large Butternut squash, peeled and sliced to resemble fries
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan grated Cheese




Cooking Instructions:
  1. Preheat over to 450 degrees F
  2. Line baking sheet with foil
  3. Toss squash with oil then place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through. The fries are ready once they turn golden brown.
  5. **optional** Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to bake until cheese is melted.
Note: You can repeat this with Sweet Potato or Yukon Gold as well for a great side.


My Yammy Spice - Seasoned Sweet Potato Wedges

This recipe is a favourite of the hubby and I. It comes from my absolute favourite, go-to cookbook: 
The Looneyspoons Collection. Not only is this book full of diverse and delicious food, but it teaches you to cut out the bad foods and replace it with good, all while maintaining taste! Hard to do, but they've mastered it! Not to mention they offer lots of interesting facts and the recipe titles are HILARIOUS!!! :) I would highly recommend to anyone!


Apparently I've never photographed my own so I had to feature the book's photo, they are delish!!

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium yams or sweet potatoes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp each ground cumin, paprika and dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp salt & freshly ground pepper
 Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
  2. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  3. Wash potatoes and pat dry with paper towel. Slice potatoes into wedges (1/2 inch thick). 
  4. Toss wedges with the oil and remaining seasonings in large bowl. Once well coated, arrange wedges in a single layer on the baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning wedges halfway.

If you have any healthy fries recipes please share :)




 




No comments:

Post a Comment