Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Meatballs in Sauce with Spaghetti

Spaghetti and meatballs is up there with some of my favourite foods; it's so good and always a crowd pleaser - I mean who doesn't love spaghetti?! Earlier, I posted a recipe for some delicious spaghetti meat sauce I like to whip up when I don't have the time for meatballs, but when I do have time to make them, they have to be my mom's specialty. This sauce is not your traditional tomato and garlic, rather it has more of a sweet and sour tang to it that goes great with pasta!



Ingredients

The Meatballs:
  • 2 lbs Ground Beef
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1 cup Bread Crumbs 
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • pinch of Pepper






1) In a large bowl, combine ground beef, milk, crumbs, egg, salt and pepper and form into balls.

Ensure everything is combined evenly before rolling into balls.


You can make them whatever size you like but I favour the big ones.


2) Fry in oil, until nicely browned, then drain on paper towel.




3) Place in a baking dish that has a cover. I like to cover them for the first 30 mins of cooking so I have some sauce to work with at the end.



The sauce:
  • 1 cup Ketchup
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 4 tbsp Vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce






4) In a small saucepan, combine ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.

doesn't look like much here
Be sure to simmer not boil!




2) Pour the sauce over the meatballs.





3) Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 200 for 1.5 hours. Make sure you flip them over ever half hour so the meatballs don't dry out.
Note: If you're in a rush, or forget to read ahead to see you need to reduce the temp as you're baking (I definitely didn't do that while making these... ), don't sweat it, bake for an hour at 350 and they still come out equally as delicious!

and voila!



Top it with some shredded cheddar and you're good to go

Now if the size of these meatballs intimidate you, you can always make them smaller, in fact, looking back I probably would have made these slightly smaller myself. With that said, we like to serve ours with a generous serving of spaghetti, but you could easily reduce them to bite-size appetizers for entertaining. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment