Sunday, July 20, 2014

Fried Cod Tongues with Scrunchions


I sometimes wonder, if I didn't grow up eating cod tongues, would I dare try them today? I honestly have my doubts, but I'm glad I did because cod tongues are now what I reference each time I come across a new and odd sounding food. I always think, well... if I like cod tongues, then maybe *insert odd sounding food here* will be good too?

Anywho, since I like to keep all my favourite recipes together on this blog, and since the food fishery is now officially open for the next 3 weeks, I thought I would share this quick and easy recipe for fried tongues. If you've never tried them, they're highly delicious - be adventurous!



Ingredients:
  • Cod Tongues - however many you can get!
  • Flour for dredging (we used Multi-grain, though white flour is typical)
  • Pork fatback, diced or purchase the pre-diced pack if available!






Instructions:

1) First things first, you need to get your scrunchions going. Heat your pan and add the fat to the hot pan. Scrunchions have a tendency to be smokey so don't heat them too high, medium to medium-high will be good. Fry until golden brown.

Before
After

2) Meanwhile, one-by-one, dredge your cod tongues through the flour.

Just like breading chicken nuggets... not weird at all.

3) Once the scrunchions have turned a lovely golden colour and your pan is filled with fat, add your tongues and cook til golden on both sides.



Still not quite golden here yet.



4) Remove tongues form the pan onto a paper towel to drain slightly, then serve topped up with scrunchions.



No comments:

Post a Comment